Monday, November 07, 2005

Horrorscopes?!

The spotless-white dhoti clad elderly man sat cross legged in front of a low wooden desk. He was immersed in a document with complicated charts and diagrams. His viboothi-smeared forehead creased in immense concentration. His twitching fingers and lips revealed the abstruse calculations that his neural networks were engaged in. After what seemed like eternity he let out a deep sigh, folded the paper and shook his head. In an ominous tone he said " Illa ma, neram rombha mosama iruku"( I'm sorry madam, the "time" is really bad)

The gravity of his words were revealed clearly in the panic-stricken face of the woman seated across him. He continued," Aana oru vazhi iruku. Naan solaratha apdiye seiyanum"( But, there is a way out. You have to do exactly as I say. He goes on to elaborate the complex list of rituals that should be done to escape from the "clutches of time" and the "evil influence of Saturn" . The lady, eyes widened in an attempt to grasp all that he says, nods feverishly...

You can find them everywhere-in all shapes,sizes and colours;from the kili josiyam on Radio mirchi to the reputed honchos sitting in palatial mansions-they all claim to forsee your future. Why this fascination to learn about one's future? I think it stems from man's inherent desire to know all that is hidden.

Astrology, they say is a Science, a divine science. Your time and date of birth determines your horoscope, which is the precise location of the various planets at that instant. This is enough to chart out your entire life. Some others claim that the lines on your palm reveal everything about you and your future. Hold your breath, there is still more to come...Tarot, Divination, Runes, Aura reading; each a field unto itself declared by their loyalists that it is the most accurate ever!

Well, I'm really befuddled. Is there even a grain of truth in what these people claim? It terrifies me to think that these obscure planets, millions of light years away in the cosmos can influence and decide the way I think and live. It terrifies met to come to terms with the fact that my life has been pre-determined and that I'm, just acting out my role. Please let it not be so...

All that I can say now is- I thank my lucky stars ,I dont believe in astrology; make that asstrology!...

6 Comments:

Blogger Abhi! said...

Nice post!
I don't believe in some formation of planets or other heavenly bodies deciding your future as well!
But on the other hand, as you've mentioned, there are tons of people who believe in stuff like this 'cos lots of "not so good" things have happened if some auspicious tasks are carried out in the 'so called' ketta neram or rahukalam or something!

I think man's belief increases if there exists factual proof. Call it coincidence or accurate prediction! Spooky though at times!

10:46 AM  
Blogger tSUNamI said...

Yeah well. According to my horoscope I will have little romance in my life and not get married till im 40. Thank god I dont believe in astrology, else i would have been swept by depression right now. ;) Nice post.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Kunal Jain said...

Nice blog. Your posts were interesting reading. I have a site about philosophy: http://vertex3d2004.blogspot.com. You can find everything about philosophy over there. Please try and visit it, see what u think. :-)

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi every1...Gr8 to see lots of Svceians on blogspot...
Keep Writing...
Please Visit
www.gnan86.blogspot.com
'n' post ur comments...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Nimme said...

well all i can tell u is
when u get married , ur dad and mom will look at horscopes of ur bridegroom..
nothing much we can do about this..
thats a part of tamil marriage culture..
but i have decent knowledge in palm history..
its bascially the beleif ppl have..in such things..

10:01 PM  
Blogger Name said...

it's more of a science that plays with people's fears:P

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home